Re: touchpads in Linux

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:07:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu>

> I'm trying to find a good touchpad (as a standalone device)
> to use with Linux in the place of a regular mouse.
> [SNIP]

I've been using a Cirque Easy Cat with Linux all this century &
hope to never again touch a mouse.

Why?  Because I'd traced severe tendon pain in my upper right
arm to motion dictated by the space available for a mouse pad.

The Easy Cat (the smallest touchpad I could find) works on
any horizontal surface 3.25 inches by 2.5 -- even on my knee.

However, at first a fellow at Cirque discouraged me.  The
company's Web site proclaimed that its touchpads were `for
Windows', so I enquired: What about Linux?  Linux nix, he
said.  But why?  No demand, replied the lout, & therefore no
plans to adapt -- then or ever.

Subsequent discussion in linux-list@ssc.com reached the lout's
boss, who firmly disavowed bias against Linux.  Just then two
late-comers to the discussion asked why all the fuss; just plug
in a Cirque, they told me, & away you go.  Right they were,
too.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle