Re: EveryBuddy questions (MS update and others)

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 11:35:36PM -0600, Jacob Anawalt wrote:
> I've been using EveryBuddy on Debian and RH for at least a year now. The
> past couple weeks I've been getting the "MSN Security Team" message "You
> need to update or won't be able to use this service" or something to
> that effect. Trillian use to get the same message but today I downloaded

MSN is changing the way their protocol works on 15 Oct, At the same time
they're going to try to impose some kind of licensing for third-party
clients to connect. What I last saw was that developers of some of the
open-source clients were certain that they'd be able to support it but
weren't sure if they'd be able to do it legally in all nations.

> The everybuddy package in Debian _seems_ to be abandoned/superceeded by
> EBlite and ayttm. Is the EveryBuddy (v0.4.3) in Debian being maintained
> upstream, or have it's developers stopped or switched over to one of the
> newer projects? It has some bugs against it that are pretty old.

The last time I looked at the EveryBuddy site they said that EveryBuddy
itself wasn't really being maintained anymore and that they were putting
all their efforts toward EB-Lite.

--
Michael Heironimus