RE: No Screens found

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Spoon
To: debian user
Sent: 9/20/03 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: No Screens found

The above lines marked (WW) remind me of a similar error message I used
to get when I was missing some key fonts packages.  I would get a "No
Screens Found" error and X wouldn't start.  This used to be a packaging
problem back in the pre-Woody days, but I haven't heard of it
recently... until now.  Maybe you are missing a font package or have not
completely installed it...

Newbie (on Debian). Out of the box, fresh, new partitions, tasksel.
Actually, you might be right, I was assuming something similar, when I
started X after the vanilla-install: Then the message was different: It
couldn't write XF86Config; some .../X was missing. I found out that there
was simply no XFree86, but *some* packets were there (xf86config ran without
a hitch !). update / upgrade and even -f  went without identifying a
problem. Searching google I got the impression some packet was missing.
Someone suggested tasksel, but X didn't show up any more as alternative to
be selected (as compared to earlier). Then I apt-get that xfree86-common -
or so - and then only it could write the XF86Config. That was actually when
I thought of a packaging problem, since there were no error messages;
tasksel is straightforward.

What would now be the suggestion to a newbie ? I'd be tempted to a fresh
install, but that sounds so Micro$oft-like. And if I still get it ? Or a
problem on the mirror ? (sunsite, Switzerland) ?
Maybe you could give some tips on what to check in case of a new install ?

I have the following fonts packages installed here:

xfonts-base
xfonts-100dpi
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-scalable

I'll try, but maybe I wasn't clear. The other card (half-spoiled RIVA TNT2)
at least produced the grey hatched background and the mouse-cross, then I
had to kill it (Ctrl-Alt-Backslash).

Thanks,

Uwe