Re: No Screens found

Benedict Verheyen wrote:
Op vr 19-09-2003, om 12:18 schreef Uwe Dippel:

Sorry, I cannot post to the news-group online. Yes, I did register and
get everything into my mailbox.

Before I send the long stuff, in the meantime I tried all suggestions

(> dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low --frontend=dialog xserver-xfree86
done. No success ...)

(> Try defining vert and horyz refresh for your monitor in the
XF86Config-4 > config file. Then define modes like "1024x768", etc and
defaultdepth
done. no success ....)

Curious, I stuck in a RIVA TNT/2, which worked.
I tried the r128-driver, also no success.
I even upgraded to unstable, everything okay, except of X.

Don't tell me that card is gone: It works nicely from that exactly same
hardware, only another partition (RedHat). From which I am writing here.
Thanks to grub.

Here come all the details: (here for ati instead of r128, but all the
same result)

# cat /mnt/ndata/log/XFree86.0.log | grep EE
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(EE) No devices detected.

# cat /mnt/ndata/log/XFree86.0.log | grep WW
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi" does not exist.
(WW) Cannot open APM
[root@psyche udippel]#

> -SNIP- <

The above lines marked (WW) remind me of a similar error message I used to get when I was missing some key fonts packages. I would get a "No Screens Found" error and X wouldn't start. This used to be a packaging problem back in the pre-Woody days, but I haven't heard of it recently... until now. Maybe you are missing a font package or have not completely installed it... I am even more suspicious of something like this happening since you are having problems with two different cards. Worth a check....

I have the following fonts packages installed here:

xfonts-base
xfonts-100dpi
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-scalable