Re: No sourcing of ~/.profile at login

In linux.debian.user, Daniel B. <dsb@smart.net> wrote:
>  Paul Smith wrote:
> >
> > .. If you're using a graphical login manager like GDM or
> > XDM, then these methods of login never actually invoke a login shell,
>
>  Why not?  (Why shouldn't logging in via GDM execute your login-time
>  shell initialization?)

Because [GKX]DM open window managers, not login shells.  Though I admit
it doesn't feel right that your environment is different if you use
[gkx]dm than if you login in text mode and issue startx.

You can modify the [gkx]dmrc, your window manager's rc file, or you
start your programs from an xterm.

Michael C.
--
mcsuper5@usol.com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/