With newer chipsets, is ECC memory slower ? Worth the penalty ?

Hi,

I have always heard ECC memory is more reliable, but there is a performance
penalty.  Crucial.com estimates the penalty to be 10% to 15%.  That's a lot.
There are some statements to the contrary with newer chipsets.  I have the
875P chipset and have no idea what the performance difference is.  Any
recommendations or empirical performance data ?

BTW.  The system is a DELL 3.2GHz server with no OS.  I saw it on
thedailydeals.com for $500.  With no OS, maybe others are interested.  Dell
offers it every other month.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

--
Paul McHale
   Work:   937-320-5495          Double E Solutions