Re: why won't 2.6.0-test4 compile\

Hi,

* Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> [030919 14:27]:
> hi everyone,
>
> haven't been able to get kerel 2.6.0-test4 to compile on my mixed
> sid/sarge machine.  I have gcc 2.95, 3.2, and 3.3 installed, and have
> tried setting HOSTCC to gcc-2.95 and gcc-3.2, but even in the
> best-case scenario I still get massive compiler errors.  In the best
> case scenarios, using make-kpkg, this happens only after the bzImage
> has been compiled, usually late in the module-compiling process.
> Module-init-tools is installed, the compiler versions are uptodate.
> Before I mail everyone the long and tiresome error messages,

Don't send the whole build log, just send the the fatal error message.
If you don't know how to recognise this you should at least be able to
work out what module was being compiled.

> - is there something crucial that I'm missing?

Yes. It is beta code. Some of it is buggy and _won't_ compile (at
least this was the case with many of the scsi drivers in test1). Only
try to compile the drivers/modules that you actually need.

> - Is it sufficient to set HOSTCC, or do I need to modify the Makefile
> in some other way (or, perhaps better, set the CC variables from the
> shell)?

I set the compiler by putting the following in my .kernel-pkg.conf
CC:=gcc-3.2

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test3-looxt93c3 i686 GNU/Linux