Re: OT: BT Broadband - which ADSL modem?

On (18/09/03 23:15), Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 18:21, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> > After a couple of years of um-ing and ah-ing, my dad's finally got round
> > to installing broadband.  Specifically, BT broadband (here in the uk).
> >
> > He's asked me to slip in a 486 class router/firewall inbetween his
> > Windows machines and the ADSL modem, so I'd much rather go with a modem
> > that has RJ45 (ethernet) connections over any USB-type port.
> >
> > I'm sure there are some debian users out there who can help me make this
> > choice -
> >
> > Which ADSL modem
> >
> > o has an ethernet port
> > o works with BT broadband
> > o offers most bang per buck
>
> I have combined the modem and firewall by installing a Bewan adsl card,
> which has Linux support:
> http://www.bewan.com/bewan/products/adsl/bwadslpcist.php

FWIW we've installed a number of ADSL networks using the Vigor2600
(combined ADSL modem and 4 port ethernet router) and
we use it here.  It is not the cheapest (gbp149.00 + VAT) but they have
been easy to set up (web interface) and reliable:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600.html

In passing I should mention that we've had some bad experiences with BT
broadband and we usually advise clients to go Plus.Net.

HTH

Clive