Re: Need help watching TV in Linux

Ronald Castillo <ronaldace2@cantv.net> writes:

>Hello. Recently I have installed a TV tuner card in my system, a
>Gallant IV-560 (Bt840 chip). It works pretty well under Windows 98 but
>I don't seem to be able to make it work well on Linux. BTTV recognizes
>the card well and I can watch TV using xawtv. Since the card isn't
>specified as supported, at first I tried autodetecting but sound didn't
>work. Then I tried using configuration for Miro PCTV, but when I quit
>the program, sound keeps coming out from the speakers. Also, using the
>mute funcion in Xawtv doesn't work.

Check if you have tvaudio/tvmixer modules installed and loaded.  Besides
that, there is an obscure setting I had to search vigorously (read:
brute force) to get any sound from my Pixelview card; may be it helps
you with tv volume. See below...

Oh, and the "post-mortem sound" affects me, too. I just mute ('a')
before quitting ('q') xawtv :-(

>Under Windows 98 I managed to get some card specific data such as
>GP-DATA, GPIO and such using BtSpy and MoreTV. Is there any way I can
>use this information for specifically configuring my TV tuner in bttv?

Yup. bttv accepts a few parameters; here is an excerpt from my
/etc/modules.conf:

alias char-major-81-0 bttv
options bttv tuner=2 card=37 radio=0 pll=1 bttv_gpio=1 audiomux=101,2,2,2

The tuner=... you already got ok, because if not, you wouldn't see
anything. The audiomux defines a mask the driver uses to isolate audio
data from the chip (or so I understood). Some combinations of {0,1,2}
work well here, including that rare 101... I don't even remember why I
left it that way :-P

So you need to start trying audiomux's combinations, and for that to be
enabled, bttv_gpio must be set to 1. Good luck, anyway.

Check also the Documentation/video4linux/* files in the kernel
source. May be there's something more decisive.

>And finally, (this one is a bit off-topic), I've noticed that in some
>channels have video and audio in slightly different frequencies, so I
>can't tune both well at the same time. Has anyone had this problem
>also? (For people in Spain, this happens to me with La Primera, La
>Segunda and some others).

Que si me ha pasado? Esos canales no llegan a sudamerica aun... ;-)

Saludos!

--
Cristian Gutierrez                                 Linux user #298162
crgutier[@]dcc.uchile.cl           http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
and the bus in interrupted as a very last resort,
and the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,
the socket packet pocket has an error to report.