Re: scsi tape drive - debian package

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 10:43:40AM +1000, ross74@optusnet.com.au wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently attached a SCSI tape drive to my raid box running Debian.
> It's a  SONY     Model: SDX-300C
>
> I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on how to get it
> working, backing up.
> I had a look at Amanda, that looked very complicated for me !

Amanda is probably overkill for your situation.

> Is there a simpler software package ?

Heh, well "simple" doesn't necessarily mean easy to use.  In that vein,
take a look at mt for controlling the drive, tar, dump (for ext2/3
only), or cpio for performing the actual backups.

> Any good HOW-TO's lying about ?

Section 12 of the Linux System Administrators Guide has some examples of
using tar for tape backups.

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/backups.html

Rob