Re: sound in koules only

At Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:07:40 -0400,
Antonio Rodr wrote:

> I have a sid installation in another machine, with an audigy
> card. I installed the emu* driver, alsa, etc. For a few days I
> couldn't figure out what was going on that I could not hear any
> sounds. I was surprised today when koules started with sound.
> xmms, cdplay are two of the applications that I haven't been
> able to make any sounds with.  Any ideas what the problem can
> be?  Thanks.

koules probably uses KDE's sound server, which might be properly
configured to interact with the ALSA sound system.  cdplay is
probably just "playing" your cdrom drive (making the drive spin)
and not passing the digital output to the soundcard.  xmms is
probably using the OSS driver, and you need to enable the OSS
emulation for ALSA.  Or install xmms's ALSA driver.