Re: burning a lot of coasters

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 13:43, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Mark Roach (mrroach@okmaybe.com) [030917 07:28]:
[...]
> > I guess that would be a good thing to try. I have been trying to avoid
> > making the image beforehand because it increases the amount of time
> > required, and haven't been burning as root because the files are on an
> > nfs mount that squashes root, I guess I'll give both of those ideas a
> > try and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Couldn't you use growisofs as non-root and pipe into cdrecord running as
> root?
>
> This will gain you the realtime scheduling, but won't protect against
> buffer underruns.  cdrecord should tell you some stats about the fifo,
> though, so you should be able to tell whether you need to worry about
> pre-creating the image or not.  Of course, since it's coming through
> NFS, there's always the possibility that it will just stall sometimes,
> Pre-creating the image is probably the best way to protect against that.
> Even if it usually looks okay, the process will be susceptible to
> failure due to transient network issues.

Actually cdrecord is not involved as it does not support dvd+rw.
growisofs launches mkisofs and uses dd somehow to send the data to the
drive. I have just discovered that you can do 'growisofs -Z
/dev/sr0=/dev/fd/0' and pipe the mkisofs output into it though, so the
same idea applies. I think I'll give that a shot as I don't think that
buffer underruns are the source of my problem.

Thanks,

Mark