RE: failed upgrade to unstable... libxrender1

Nick Hastings wrote:
>I've not seen this type of problem before, however it seems that the
>pre-install script (/var/lib/dpjg/info/libxrender1.preinst) is failing
>because it is trying to divert >(man 8 dpkg-divert) a file to a
>location that is already used.
>
>You seem to have two versions of libxrender installed
>(version 1 and 1.1). Perhaps you should remove one of them.

Thanks Nick.  I tried what you suggested, but it seems that my problems are
deeper than this.  I could not uninstall libxrender1 or 1.1, it said that a
few other programs I had installed depended on it.  So, I removed those
programs (nautilus, gnome-core, gnome-terminal, nautilus-cd-burn, etc.).  So
now when I run "apt-get update" it tells me that it will install
powermgmt-base and upgrade powermgmt-base, no mention of trying to force an
install of libxrender1.  It also says the following:

1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
147 not fully installed or removed.
[...other familiar stuff...]
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Preconfiguring packages...
Selecting previously deselected package powermgmt-base.
(Reading database ... 53420 files and directories currently installed.)
Prepairing to replace powermgmt-base 1.6 (using
.../powermgmt-base_1.16_i386.deb)
Unpacking replacement powermgmt-base ...
Architecture-specific modutils configuration not found, using defaults
cat: /etc/modprobe.d/arch/generic: Nosuch file or directory
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
cat: /etc/modprobe.d/arch/generic: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/powermgmt-base_1.16_i386.deb
(--u
npack):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
cat: /etc/modprobe.d/arch/generic: No such file or directory
dpkg: errorwhile cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status1
Errors wer encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/powermgmt-base_1.16_i386.deb
#

So I tried to remove "powermgmt-base" and the following happened when
running "apt-get remove powermgmt-base"

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  powermgmt-base
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
147 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 127kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y

Dpkg: error processing powermgmt-base (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 powermgmt-base
#

A little background here.  This is a LVM/RAID machine with a custom kernel.
I did not compile into the kernel APM support.  Would this be causing this
problem?  That is the problem with the "Architecture-specific modutils
configuration not found" message that I am receiving?  I am a little lost
here.

Thanks for your time.

Michael