Can't mount cdrom anymore

Hi,

since I have added a second hard disk to my system (Debian testing
unstable, kernel 2.4.21, i686), I cannot mount my ATAPI cdrom drive (a
SAMSUNG CD-ROM SCR-3232 VH102) anymore. I get this on the console:

root@obelix:~# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd1 /cdrom
mount: block device /dev/scd1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 64
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=0b:01, iso_blknum=16, block=32
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd1,
       or too many mounted file systems
root@obelix:~#

As you can see, I have enabled ide-scsi emulation, and it's the slave on
the secondary IDE bus. However, I can mount my cd writer which is the
master on the secondary IDE bus without any problems.

I am not aware of having broken anything when I added the second hard
disk; even more so as I can mount/use this cdrom when running Knoppix
and also when running Windows 98. I can also play audio cd's on my
Debian system using this cdrom drive.

Let's look in the dev directory:

root@obelix:/dev# ls -l cdrom cdrw scd0 scd1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Sep 17 16:34 cdrom -> /dev
scd1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Sep 17 16:34 cdrw -> /dev
scd0
brw-rw----    1 root     cdwriter  11,   0 Feb 19  2003 scd0
brw-rw----    1 root     cdwriter  11,   1 Feb 19  2003 scd1
root@obelix:/dev#

This seems all right to me; both drives seem to be configured
identically, but cdrw works and cdrom does not. So I am a bit lost and
have no idea what could be wrong in my configuration, and I don't
understand the ".isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=0b:01,
iso_blknum=16, block=32" error message. I have already tried turning
off ide-scsi emulation, which did not help; neither did making the
cdrom drive slave and the cdrw drive master as I have done today
(before that, cdrw was slave and cdrom was master).

Please let me know if I'm missing something obvious, if you know what's
wrong, whether I should include additional information or if you can
help otherwise.

TIA,

Nils