Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)

On Monday 15 September 2003 09:20, Pigeon wrote:

> > But anyway, this is the revised scheme:
> > 1   Pri DOS   500MB    Bootable    DOS6.22
> > 2   Pri DOS   600MB                     W95
> > 3   Pri DOS   600MB                     W98
> > 4  Extended     5   DOS     500MB
> >                       6   DOS     800MB
> >
> > I'll see how it goes.
> >
> > 3 may get converted to FAT32 later.
>
> Should go OK, I'd think... that worked OK for me.

In case y'all thought I'd died...

creating each partition with DOS FDISK, then hiding it by changing it to
'ext2' with linux fdisk before creating the next one with DOS, worked like a
charm.     As did FORMAT <drive>:  /u  /s    on each partition (I left the /S
off the extended partitions).

DOS installed fine on partition 1  (what's to install?  ;)

Then I changed the active partition to 2 with FDISK as per plan.
But neither Win95 nor Win98 would install on Partition 2.    They both siezed
shortly after the 'License Agreement' stage, and on rebooting displayed a
message about disabling the virus checker  (*what* virus checker?)

This happened even when I hid all other partitions - 1, 3, 5 & 6 - by
changing them to ext2 with Linux fdisk.

Maybe I'm missing something.   I think some further reading of the multiboot
howtos (including Windows ones!) is indicated.

cr