Re: Newbie - upgrade question

on Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 10:36:57PM -0400, Zerkani_user_list (zerkani_user_list@snet.net) wrote:
> Need help!
>
> When I ran the security upgrade,  I get the following error  message. How do I
> resolve this error?.
>
> localhost:/home/zerkani# apt-get upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
> 21 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B/3422kB of archives. After unpacking 4096B will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
> debconf: (Unable to load Gnome -- is libgnome-perl installed?)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
> (Reading database ... 27513 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace xlibmesa3 4.1.0-16 (using
> .../xlibmesa3_4.1.0-16woody1_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement xlibmesa3 ...
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibmesa3_4.1.0-16woody1_i386.deb (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so.1.3', which is also in package
> xlibmesa3-glu

You've found a bug.

There is a conflict between the packages xlibmesa3 and xlibmesa3-glu.

If both are Debian packages, and not from a third-party site:

  - Run 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' and see if the problem is
    fixed.

  - Run 'apt-get install reportbug', then 'querybts xlibmesa3' and see
    if the bug has been reported.

  - If you've still got a problem, file a grave bug against one or the
    other indicating the conflicting file.  Paste the section above
    starting from 'Unpacking replacement xlibmesa3'.

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/