Re: Not impressed with 2.6.0-test2 so far...

Neal Lippman wrote:

Well, so far I'm less than impressed with 2.6.0-test2. Specifically,
although I have installed both the source and run several compiles, as
well as the pre-compiled kernel-image version, I have yet to get a
running and working 2.6.0.

The precompiled package in testing doesn't work at all; after numerous
error messages during the boot (which go by so fast I cannot see them
all), followed by a bunch of failures trying to load lvm_mod (don't know
why), the system panics after trying to kill the init process. Not
impressive.

My own compiled version gets farther, but after a mess of dma errors on
/dev/hda6 (don't get that running 2.4.22), staring KDE fails and I am
dumped back to a login prompt in the console. From what I can see, there
are a lot of usb errors. Again, don't know why, becaue the keyboard
doesn't work so I cannot log in and check dmesg.

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten 2.6.0-test2 compiled and runnign at
all and has any pointers? I've read what I can online, fixed the
pitfalls noted (for instance, since CONFIG_VT, CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE, etc
must be compiled in and not modules, you'd think the config scripts
would tell you that) but not yet making progress.

Oh well, another config and another try tonight...

nl

I think it would be a neat idea if you share your experiences with the kernel development team, maybe you can help them out this way to troubleshoot the kernel ;)

Regards

--
-daniel
http://www.debian-gnu.com