Installation and Ethernet Cards

Hi, I'm having trouble installing Debian because I
can't figure out how to get the installer to recognize
my ethernet card. There's a relatively short list of
cards listed by modconf and although similar cards are
listed, none of the cards I have available are. Is
there a page out there that explains how to get around
this trouble, by using command line options, or by
listing what cards Debian will recognize on startup?

Thanks,
Eric