Computer won't boot without video cable

I have a monstrous roaring beast of a computer that I want to hide away
in a closet and admin remotely.  However, I've run into a problem I've
never seen before: the damn thing won't boot unless a video cable is
plugged in to the video card.

I think the problem is either with the video bios or the system bios,
since guessing from the sounds emitted, the system never gets to SCSI
initialization.  The system doesn't emit any error beeps or anything; it
just appears to be dead.  If I plug in the video after initially
starting without it, I simply get a blank screen.

If I boot the system with the cable initially plugged in and then yank
it after a few seconds, it boots happily and all is well.

AFAIK, the video bios isn't configurable, but I did make sure that the
system bios is set to not halt on any errors.

I think the relevant hardware in the system is:

  * MSI KT7 Turbo2 mainboard
  * Athlon 900MHz CPU
  * ELSA GeForce2 GTS

I suppose I could lug a monitor over to the closet any time I need to
boot the system, but, uhhh, I'd rather avoid that.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with this hardware?  Any
suggestions?

--
I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis.