Re: Small, silent system with 2 NICs?

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 21:57, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for this being slightly OT, but I was wondering whether
>  anybody here could advise me concerning a small debian compat-
> ible system that is supposed to sit SILENTLY in my living room
> and function as a firewall and sshd server for my wireless net-
> wor that is supposed to come into existence shortly. I found
> idotpc.com, but there little ones only take one card ...
>
> Please let me know if you came across something like this - I
> do not intend to build something from scratch.

An old Pentium w/ bootable CD-ROM capabilities will let you slap
in 2 PCI NICs, and create a bootable CD firewall.  So, only a CD
drive will be needed, and most of the time it will be not spinning.
You can make a syslog server and send the log files to another
machine that has the disk space to hold as many logs as you want.

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Fair is where you take your cows to be judged."
Unknown