Re: Using Japanese (and Chinese) on an prodominantly english system

> > Hi all,

Hi,

> > I've installed canna, kinput2-canna, and jvim, but I don't understand
> > how to use them. I've installed japanese fonts and generated all the
> > japanese locales I could find, although my normal LANG et al are set
> > to C. Which locale settings do I need to change? All of them? Is there
> > a setting that would allow english and japanese, or do I have to keep
> > switching. (I don't understand locales very well)

gnome 2 itself and its applications should be able to display chinese,
japanese, etc properly if the text in utf8 encoding.  As for vim, I
think starting from vim 6, the encoding matter is mature, and should be
able to handle japanese in utf8.  Of course, you need a terminal that
can display those characters too.  You can also use gedit from gnome to
type japanese too.

As for locale, well, I am not too sure either.  But I am using
en_US.UTF-8, and I can read chinese.  And fyi, there is a new input
platform that you maybe interested at

http://www.turbolinux.com.cn/~suzhe/scim/

--
Edwin Lau