Re: Where is the file /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ?

jjluza wrote:

hi all. I try to compile a driver (nvnet) which includes the file
/usr/include/linux/module.h. This file should include the file
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h, but it desn't exist anymore :/ where is this file

debian installs a generic set of linux include files in /usr/include/linux. While this is a pretty good thing for compiling applications, compiling drivers typically requires the include files of the linux kernel that you actually have installed. These are typically in /usr/src/linux, but basically could be anywhere else where you keep kernel source codes.

The correct way of compiling drivers would be that they do not search in /usr/include/linux, but in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux, because /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build should be a symbolic link to where you keep the sourcecode for the kernel you are currently running.

So I recommend you either try and edit the Makefile of your driver to change the include path or you can temporarily link /usr/include/linux to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux and your driver should compile.

Cheers,
               Torsten