Re: IRC protocol blocked

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 07:41:48AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:12:52PM +0800, what what (butdiene@hotmail.com) wrote:

Hi,

> > So, I can not have access to the irc #debian channel.
> >
> > Anyone knows a way to work out from my side?
>
> You don't specify where your access is received.  Note that violating
> site policy may have serious repercussions.  Particularly if it's at a
> place of employment.
That is realy important! I've recently heard again about a case where
somebody got fired from his apprenticeship cause of policy violation.

> There are several guides to bypassing firewalls, Google for "Firewall
> Piercing HOWTO".  Note that this information can get you fired or worse.
>
> Your best bet is to get access somewhere else.  If you can and your site
> allows ssh access to a remote shell account, you can run a text-mode IRC
> client such as irssi from this.
And in a realy hard case you can use cgiirc. It's working quite good and you
only need http access to the outside.
You can find cgiirc on http://cgiirc.sf.net

The "piercing" way requieres a tool like transconnect and a "broken" https
proxy.

Sven
--
http://www.comboguano.de