Bug in GNOME detected!

In GNOME 2.2 (stable woody backport) i went to

Applications > Desktop Preferences > Advanced > File types and programs

and I removed "rich text document" from Documents > Word Processor.

Then i did "Add File Type..." and i entered (same configuration as the removed entry):

MIME type: application/rtf
Category: Documents/Word Processor
Filename extensions: rtf

Then i clicked "OK" and i got this strange error message:

A MIME type with that name already exists, overwrite? [Cancel][OK]

I mean, i just removed that file type entry previously, did I? So why should it still exist? Well OK, stupid error message i guess...let's click "OK". So i clicked OK and there it was, the new entry:

rich text document            .rtf

So right, you might say, what's the deal? I'll tell you ;)
Close the main window and open it again through

Applications > Desktop Preferences > Advanced > File types and programs

The entry we just created isn't there anymore!!

Is it a bug or is it a feature? (if feature, what kind of feature??)

Thanx alot for your attention, hoping for feedback :)

Greetz
Alex

PS: i could have done that with any other entry with the same results ...