Troubles connection to the LAN

Ahoi!

I have got a new PC (Via Mini-ITX with C3 CPU). I have two NICs in it
and compiled a new kernel (2.4.16). I can load the net drivers
(via-rhine and ne2k-pci) and they are listed as eth0 and eth1 when i
see the ifconfig output.
Unfortunately the NICs don't get IP addresses from their respective
dhcp-servers, and if i give them those manually i cannot ping any
other PC in the LAN either.

When i boot the Debian CDROM with the rescue option both NICs are
working properly. But when i type lsmod then i can only see one
driver-package so i cannot check if it uses the same drivers. (But i
assume that since i installed my system with that CD.)
How can i go on an check where is the difference in configuration with
my own booted kernel and that of the Debian CD?

thanxalot for giving me a direction,
~klemens

mcaviti,
gmx.net