Re: simple audio recording

Thanks,
     I was hoping to avoid an external mixer/equilizer since I would
     like to make this system portable.  I should have mentioned this in
     my original post.  Maybe I should just get a mini-disk for
     portability and do as you suggest for the rest.

     sox sounds perfect.  I am glad there is a command line option to do
     this.

     Is there a mic recording card available which could allow quality
     recording directly to my laptop?