Re: Can't mount cdrom

Hello

J Y (<jhy@x-mail.net>) wrote:

> I am running debian 3.0 on an Athlon...
> Still trying to get basic functions working  after
> lots of problems w/ x configuration.
> When I try to mount my cdrom, either from a terminal
> or graphically I get; mount fs type iso9660 not
> supported by kernal. The cdrom is listed in /etc/fstab.
> What am I doing wrong here?

You need to load the filesystem driver for the cdrom. I think it is
called iso9660.o or isofs.o. Try

modprobe isofs
of
modprobe iso9660

If it can't be found, check your Kernel configuration file (you can find
it in /boot). It should say:
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y (driver compiled into the kernel, you don't have to
load it) or
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=m (driver compiled as a module, must be loaded).

> Also I cannot configure my modem. Its listed correctly in
> /etc/ppp/peers but if I enter "pon" at a terminal I just get
> a message to edit the aforementined file. My modem works in
> Mandrake/SuSe. If anyone can help-great. I'd like to actually use
> Debian. Thanks!!

Use pppconfig to configure your internet connection. When you are
finished, you have to use

pon name_of_peer

to start the connection.

best regards