cannot get anything from dhcp

I have a problem requesting dhcp from my laptop's wired ethernet card, a
Broadcom integrated nic,  using driver bcm4400.

In /etc/networking/interface I already have
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
and I use dhclient to get the ip.  It just can't seem to get anything
from the dhcp server, after a while it timed out, cannot lease anything
and sleep (and there's nothing's wrong with the server as all my other
computers can get an ip from it via dhcp fine).  However if I set give
it a static ip in /etc/networking/interface then everything is fine.
Is there something in the kernel or software that I am missing ?  And
yes, this is a custom kernel but it has both CONFIG_PACKET and
CONFIG_FILTER as suggested from others ,  all my other computers have
custom kernel too with very similiar setups and they all work fine.
What else could I do to check for problems ?

If needed, I can put my kernel's .config here ,  just let me know , I
really need this to work.  TIA

Also what pcmcia's ethernet card can I get that's cheap and fully linux
compabile (just in case this prob is caused by the integrated nic)?
doesn't see much talking about pcmcia's ethernet card, all the attention
goes to wireless nowadays.