Problems after moving root partition

 Hi all, I crashed kde and my whole system by trying to stop k3b from erasing
a CD and ended up with files system problems. I then copied all that was
possible to a temp directory and did a much needed revamp of my partitions
and as a result of this my root is now hda3 where it used to be hda10. I
edited the fstab, lilo.conf and ran lilo. I then worked out a few glitches
which resulted in me not having a swap partition set up properly and now I've
met with some strange problems. Kde, mysql and postgres don't start. In root
KDE works fine but when trying to login as a normal user through KDM or GDM
the screen goes blank after attempting to start X (KDE or Gnome) and then
goes back into the login screen. The log file output is as follows..

 The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
 > Error:            Meta_R added to symbol map for multiple modifiers
 >                   Using Mod4, ignoring Mod1.
 > Error:            Meta_L added to symbol map for multiple modifiers
 >                   Using Mod4, ignoring Mod1.
 Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
 /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession: line 63: /dev/null: Permission denied
 /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession: line 1: /dev/null: Permission denied
 Xsession: unable to create X session log/error file.  Aborting.
 (II) [GLX]: Initializing GLX extension
 The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
 > Error:            Meta_R added to symbol map for multiple modifiers
 >                   Using Mod4, ignoring Mod1.
 > Error:            Meta_L added to symbol map for multiple modifiers
 >                   Using Mod4, ignoring Mod1.
 Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

Mysqls log file states the following..

030914 23:50:28  mysqld started
030914 23:50:28  Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission denied
030914 23:50:28  Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket:
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock ?
030914 23:50:28  Aborting

and postgres logfile is empty but the screen output is

  No directory, logging in as HOME=/
  No readable database directory for postgresql

I have also just noticed that I can't su to root, I can login as root but not
su.

Have I broke it, I've found some answers on Google but none fix the problems.

Regards
Wayne Gemmell