Re: Roadrunner dial-up problem.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:16:13 -0400
Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:

> David Palmer wrote:
> > /quote: I am trying to dial into RoadRunner dialup service.
> > They unfortunately only support Windows and won't help me with Linux.
> > My Thinkpad WinModem is working fine and I have tested it
> > by dialing up to other dialup ISP accounts./unquote.
> >
> > Hello Andy,
> >
> > Yes I had exactly the same problem with my ISP.
> > I sent them an email to the general effect that by refusing to support
> > anything but windows applications they were dictating what their client base
> > were permitted to have on their machines, besides adding to the market
> > domination of an already over bloated monopoly. And by doing so, they were in
> > all probability acting illegally.
> > IANAL, but it did the trick.
> > I received back what amounted to a three month free membership.
> > You are the market. They give you what you want, not the other way round.
> > If they don't, the web provides a massive audience, and you have the power to
> > harm their future business in a very real way.
> > You can provide the proof of your personal integrity in the situation right
> > from the sent file of your mail client. Email has had the same legal standing
> > (court admissable evidence) as fax, in all of the westernised countries for
> > some considerable years now.
> > Regards,
> >
> > David.
> >

> Any chance you tried to get the dial-up information necessary to get Linux to
> work?  Or were they just being pricks about the whole thing?
>
> --
> Get forgiveness now -- tomorrow you may no longer feel guilty.

I would have been quite happy with just the information, but initially I ran into a few that rigidly held to the company line.
I thought that service standard was pathetic.
What sort of training bill would be incurred showing staff (young though they may be) the basic set up for 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP. They are all very similar, and up on a screen in front of the helpdesk staff.
As an amusing aside, after that all the closet on staff Linux freaks have come out into the open.
They got themselves a new tech manager. They started off with BSD on their server, then moved to one of the Linux Distros, then he came along and installed Win NT. Afraid of what he doesn't understand.
It got amusing when I wasn't getting some of my mail. I was forwarding 'postmaster' reject messages that online acquaintances were sending me at another address-invalid address, and similar- to them so that they could figure out what the problem was. The new manager didn't like it apparently when I mailed him advising that this was the last occasion on which I intended to provide support for a Microsoft application.
Regards,

David.