Re: Open-source opportunuity?

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 01:13:57AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:18:52 +0100,
> Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> <[🔎] 20030911211852.GM1580@pigeon.pigeonloft>:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 06:22:09AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > >
> > > ..I would think British Rail has _several_ uses for computers,
> > > and not just the un-written RailGear.org train simulator,
> >
> > It hasn't been British Rail since the early 90s when it was
> > privatised. We now have separate sets of organisations for operating
> > trains, providing rolling stock, and maintaining/expanding the
> > infrastructure. Network Rail, the organisation in question, is
> > responsible for the whole of the infrastructure apart from the
> > seven-mile Isle of Wight line. (The London Underground is
> > completely separate.) Network Rail is the replacement for Railtrack
> > which proved to be a high-capacity pipe for channelling taxpayers'
> > money into shareholders' pockets.
> >
> > Network Rail has no responsibility for running trains, and has no use
> > for a train simulator of that nature. A couple of the train operating
> > companies use them for driver training though.
>
> ..thanks for the update.  Join in, I feel we can use your
> background knowledge.

I would love to. But I have too clear an idea of my own failings:
chronic vagueness, tendency to forget things, no sense of time, lack
of appreciation of / sympathy for business methods and styles of
thought. Externally, my internet connection is by metered dialup, and
I often do not have sufficient money to travel at short notice. I
feel that I would not be much of an asset.

On the other hand, I probably do know more about the current state of
the UK rail system than many people on this list - though I have no
professional connection; I live in the UK in a town with pretty good
rail services; I don't mind getting my hands dirty and I like to hack
away at a technical problem until it's solved.

I shall certainly subscribe to the mailing list that Shri is setting
up, and make whatever contribution I can.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons