Re: Open-source opportunuity?

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 06:22:09AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> ..I would think British Rail has _several_ uses for computers,
> and not just the un-written RailGear.org train simulator,

It hasn't been British Rail since the early 90s when it was
privatised. We now have separate sets of organisations for operating
trains, providing rolling stock, and maintaining/expanding the
infrastructure. Network Rail, the organisation in question, is
responsible for the whole of the infrastructure apart from the
seven-mile Isle of Wight line. (The London Underground is
completely separate.) Network Rail is the replacement for Railtrack
which proved to be a high-capacity pipe for channelling taxpayers'
money into shareholders' pockets.

Network Rail has no responsibility for running trains, and has no use
for a train simulator of that nature. A couple of the train operating
companies use them for driver training though.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons