Re: Network device configuration

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 04:26:44PM -0700, Philip Clark wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a laptop and want to use a docking station which has a 3com card
> in it. So I compiled the card driver into the kernel and added an entry
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
> alias eth1 3c59x
>
> Then I edited /etc/network/interfaces to the following:
>
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> iface eth1 inet static
> address 134.79.89.47
> netmask 255.255.252.0
> gateway 134.79.91.1
>
> However, when I try to restart networking or reboot then I get:
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>
> However, if I change it to be eth0 then it works fine. Any ideas what I
> have done wrong.

It appears that you haven't had both cards probed during bootup.  The first
one (eth0 by default) will get noticed (as you found by switching the two
definitions), but the second is ignored.  Check out the ethernet-howto on
appending parameters to the kernel during bootup.  It's pretty
straightforward.

HTH,

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,