Network device configuration

Hi Everyone,

I have a laptop and want to use a docking station which has a 3com card
in it. So I compiled the card driver into the kernel and added an entry

/etc/modprobe.d/aliases
alias eth1 3c59x

Then I edited /etc/network/interfaces to the following:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth1 inet static
address 134.79.89.47
netmask 255.255.252.0
gateway 134.79.91.1

However, when I try to restart networking or reboot then I get:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

However, if I change it to be eth0 then it works fine. Any ideas what I
have done wrong.

Thanks for any help!

-Phil