Galeon 1.2.5 proxy settings not respected consistently

I'm using Galeon 1.2.5 on testing/unstable.

My proxy settings aren't being consistently applied.  They appear to be
accepted and working properly for some period of time, but then fail to
work for no apparent reason later.  Proxy is squid on a host on my
network.

My settings are:

    proxy:  wwwproxy
    port:   3128
    keepalives: disabled
    socksv5: selected
    http version: 1.1

I've tried setting keepalives on or off, resetting values, etc.  through
"Settings/Preferences/Advanced/Network" menu.  In all cases, settings
either don't take, or apply only for a period of time.

I've just tried using gconf-editor to set proxy values.  For the moment
this is working, but I'm not sure it's going to solve the problem.

"Upgrading" to 1.3.x or higher isn't an option as these versions of
Galeon suffer from serious feature stripping to the extent they're
useless.

Peace.

   Spread the real scoop on Xenu and The Church of Scientology, link