Re: DMA doesn't seem to work with my custom 2.4.21 kernel

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 12:07, David selby wrote:
> Pim Bliek wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've set the following in my kernel-config (2.4.21):
> >
> >CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> >CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
> >CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> >
> >I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe rev 2.0 motherboard.
> >
> >When I run hdparm -d1 /dev/hda I get the following error:
> >
> ># hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
> >/dev/hda:
> > setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> > HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> > using_dma    =  0 (off)
> >
> >I know this has worked on my system on a previous install (Gentoo). I
> >have quite a new WD HDD 80 GB.
> >
> >Anyone knows what I am missing?
> >
> >Pim
> >

> I was running 2.4.19, upgraded to 2.4.21, dma stopped working, went back
> to 2.4.19, dma works. Im not experienced enough to give you more help
> than that. Give 2.4.19 a go ?

How about 2.4.22?  Could it be that .21 doesn't yet fully support
the A7N8X's chipsets?

I have these set to "y" in my A7V133
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

YODA: Code! Yes. A programmer's strength flows from code
maintainability. But beware of Perl. Terse syntax... more
than one way to do it...default variables. The dark side of code
maintainability are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you
when code you write. If once you start down the dark path,
forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.