Re: What to do with a core dump

on Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 08:39:53PM -0400, Gregory Seidman (gss+debian@cs.brown.edu) wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 02:34:59AM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> } I just got home a couple of hours ago, and when I logged in and started
> } mucking around I noticed a 36MB binary file called core.11377 with a time
> } stamp of about seven hours ago.  I was home at lunch and working on the
> } computer, so it is possible that it occured then, but I don't remember
> } any strange behavior.  How do I find out what process was 11377, and how
> } do I examine the contents of the file?
>
> file core.11377
>
> You examine the contents with gdb.

...if you're interested in dissecting your dead applications' memory
space.  This is of interest to developers and dates to a time when all
Unix (or later, all GNU/Linux) "users" were also developers.

If not, you can use ulimit to set corefile size to zero (ulimit is a
bash builtin):

    ulimit -c 0

'man bash' for more information.

Peace.

    "This must be Thursday," said Arthur musing to himself, sinking low
    over his beer, "I never could get the hang of Thursdays."
    -- HHGTG