Re: What to do with a core dump

Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Cool.  Here is what it said:
>
> $file core.11377
> core.11377: ELF 32-bit LSB core file Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), SVR4-style,
> SVR4-style, from 'soffice.bin'
>
> However, GDB said it was not in executable format and that it did not recognize
> the file type.

You need to run tell gdb both the core and the executable that cored.
gdb /path/to/soffice.bin core. Then you generally get a backtrack and go
from there.

You're not likely to get a good backtrace though, since binaries from
debian packages are stripped, so you will not be able to tell anything
except the addresses of the functions in which it crashed. Sometimes you
can rebuild the same binary unstripped and run gdb on that, but you have
to be lucky for everything to be the same, or it won't work. Or if
you're seeing lots of crashes, you can build an unstripped binary and
use it, and wait for the next crash.

Since a full backtrace with debugging information is a beautiful thing
to have, we're planning to make packages that contain detached debugging
information. Then if you got a crash or core dump, you could run gdb
with this and get a good backtrace. We're not there yet though.

--
see shy jo