apt-get trying to downgrade a package version?

Hi all,

I am running Woody with a 2.4.20 kernel and acpi installed.

When I try to install kppp or am-utils (for example) using Package Manager or apt-get, I get the following error:

 acpi: Depends: libc6 (>=2.3.1-1) but 2.2.5-11.5 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Two questions:

If I go ahead with the -f option, will it go ahead and downgrade libc6, thus breaking acpi? Can I force apt-get NOT to downgrade libc6, since I'm sure both kppp and am-utils will work just fine with the newer version?

Thanks for any suggestions, even if its a pointer as to what I should read!

yan