Re: DMA doesn't seem to work with my custom 2.4.21 kernel

Pim Bliek | PingWings wrote:
You may also need to enable support for the specific chipset
on that motherboard in your kernel config.  See
ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support  --->
  IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices  ---> IDE chipset support/bugfixes.

I didn't see any support for Nforce2 in there....
Also, this setup worked with Gentoo.

They spell Nforce2 as CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX.  Build it in, because if you merely module it you still have to bother to tell dma to come on in an init script.  After installing this and enabling DMA I got a factor of 23 improvement in IO speed.

Since we're both nforce2 users, maybe we can help eachother in other ways.  Like damned if I can make alsa work.  :P