Re: Font in X11

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:20:11AM +0200, Bohdan Linda wrote:
> - Why X11 pcf font are not antialiased, AA can be performed on fly. I
> know, that the don't use Xft, but  is there any way to have them AA?

This might not answer your question, but I'll give it a try.
I did a quick test, using an URW font by selecting Applications/Desktop
Preferences/Font on Gnome2; the font was antialiased.

I checked the GDK_USE_XFT env. variable, it hadn't set to 1, but the AA
worked. It might be that Gnome2 uses AA as the default.

> - Can be all X11 pcf fonts removed from system?

gdm needs the 'fixed' fonts.

> - If not, can those fonts be "shadowed" to appications like KDE, Mozzila
> and be aviable only to application, which can't use Xft2

You can always set the default fonts for those.

Oki