Re: Traffic Shaping -- I Need a Push in the Right Direction

"Greg Sims" <greg_sims@earthlink.net> writes:

> I need to perform bandwidth traffic shaping on a Debian Gateway
> machine.  I've done a good bit of surfing but have not been able to
> find what I want.

The 2.2 and 2.4 kernels contain an immense amount of packet scheduling
code.  Start by reading section 9 of the "Adv-Routing-HOWTO" (which is
probably installed under "/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/...") and then install
the "iproute" package and take a look at:

        /usr/share/doc/iproute/README.iproute2+tc.gz

and the "tc" manpage.

Specifically, you can set up an HTB (which is included in standard
2.4.x kernels but probably requires a patch for 2.2.x kernels) queue
discipline that filters packets based on their source or destination
IP addresses and limits their rates separately.  See section 9.4.5 of
the Adv-Routing-HOWTO for an example (that limits based on ports
rather than addresses).

--
Kevin <buhr@telus.net>