Re: where is netscape 4 in testing?

* Jean-Michel besnard <jm-ml@tekkno.net> (besnard@tekkno.net) [030909 12:47]:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:00:28PM +0200, Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Whoa, sure it's interesting. Consider a man-in-the-middle SSL attack:
> > > now somebody else owns everything you have.
>
> You can not really mount a man-in-the-middle attack if the bank's certificate (and therefore the public key contained in it) has been signed by a trusted entity (eg, a CA).
>
> or maybe I am wrong....

That's what makes it an attack.  ISTR an exploit in IE which would allow
anyone with a trusted cert to impersonate any other site.  For example,
if I got a cert for doorstop.net signed by verisign, I could then pull
off a MITM and pretend to be amazon.com, thereby grabbing credit card
numbers, etc.  I may be a bit off base on my recollection of the
exploit; I mostly remember just chuckling to myself when I read the CERT
alert. =)

The whole point is that a buggy browser could make it easy for someone
to pull something like this off, wherein the browser might be validating
certs incorrectly, or just not warning the user when it failed to
validate, or whatnot.

good times,
Vineet
--