Re: where is netscape 4 in testing?

Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
Am Mo, 2003-09-08 um 02.12 schrieb Roberto Sanchez:

How else would they ID a browser?  The site I have personally had problems with
(I've posted about it here a few times already) apparently identifies the
browser with some really slick trick, since it goes out as hidden data in the
POST for the login.

Untested Code from my archives:

<script>
document.write(navigator.appCodeName+"<br>");
document.write(navigator.appName+"<br>");
document.write(navigator.appVersion+"<br>");
document.write(navigator.userAgent+"<br>");
</script>

When I fake my browserID  with mozilla via Prefbar-extension, one of the
lines above gives the faked ID, while the other one _always_ says
"Mozilla". Tested just on a macintosh.

Bye, Ratti

Netscape 4.x's code name *is* Mozilla. That is where the name for Mozilla came from...

The other way to do a browser check[actually the 'proper' way] is to check whether the browser supports document.layers or document.all or some other [obsolete] capability that you plan on using.