Re: Upgrade to 'testing'

on Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 01:50:34PM +0000, Jianan Huang (huangjianan1@hotmail.com) wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Thanks for the response to my query. I have not done the upgrade yet.
> Perhaps I should let you folks know why I want to upgrade.
>
> 1) I have been working on 'stable' for more than a month now. I notice the
> packages are ratther old. The  kernel is 2.2.20, xfree86 is 4.1. etc.

That's the blessing and curse of stable.  It's stable because it's old.
It's old because it's stable.

> 2) More recent packages are available in 'testing. Recently I want to use a
> package 'gtkeyboard'. It not available on 'stable'.

Upgrade to testing.

> BTW, I am concerned about disk space. Roughly speaking, how much free disk
> space would I need before I do the upgrade?

Several.

I run with 1-2GB in /var (where DEBs are stored during download).
Running 'apt-get autoclean' or 'apt-get clean' prior to your upgrade
will free space by deleting old DEBs.  You'll also be told how much
data will be downloaded, and how much used after the upgrade is
complete.  If you don't have enough space, apt usually aborts with a
message indicating this.

You can simply run:

    apt-get -u dist-upgrade

....and cancel the process yourself, to see what the download
size/storage requirement will be.

Peace.

   There is no K5 Cabal:  http://www.kuro5hin.org/