Re: Debian sunk by Windows format and install.

William Bradley wrote:

Got virus attacked on the Windows section of a dual boot machine that runs Debian (latest Woody) and Windows 98. Windows got into such a state between the virus and me messing with it that I ended up reformatting the C: drive and reinstalling Windows. In so doing, access to Debian has been cut off and the unit boots straight into Windows. Is there a way that I can get back to dual booting that machine. I'd hate to have to reinstall Debian and go through getting KDE 3.0 again.

Thank you,

Bill.

Boot off the Debian installation CD that you used originally to install Debian (assuming you have such a CD). At the "boot:" prompt, enter something like "linux root=/dev/hda5 s" (or wherever your root partition is located; the "s" is to enter single-user mode). Then re-run "lilo", and you should be ready to reboot to test.

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)