Re: Debian sunk by Windows format and install.

on Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:08:35PM -0400, William Bradley (bradleyw@magma.ca) wrote:
> Got virus attacked on the Windows section of a dual boot machine that runs
> Debian (latest Woody) and Windows 98. Windows got into such a state between
> the virus and me messing with it that I ended up reformatting the C: drive
> and reinstalling Windows. In so doing, access to Debian has been cut off and
> the unit boots straight into Windows. Is there a way that I can get back to
> dual booting that machine. I'd hate to have to reinstall Debian and go
> through getting KDE 3.0 again.

Use a boot disk to either boot your system directly, or run a rescue
GNU/Linux system.  Suggestions include Tom's Root Boot (1.7 MiB floppy),
LNX-BBC (40 MiB CDROM), or Knoppix (700 MiB CDROM).  Google will find
all of these.

Using any of the above, chroot into your GNU/Linux system, and
re-install your bootloader (LILO/GRUB).

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/DebianChrootInstall

...has some details on use of chroot.

Peace.