Re: Can't access a site from Masqueraded host

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 12:53:02PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
| On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 09:39:43PM +0200, Nicos Gollan wrote:
| > On Monday 08 September 2003 21:08, Donald Spoon wrote:
| > > If you are able to connect to other sites from the internal network, and
| > > only have problems with this site (or maybe just a few others), I would
| > > suspect ECN is set on your NAT box.  Check /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
| > > and see if it is set to something other than 0 (zero).
| >
| > The ECN setting on the NAT box is not a problem, just try
| > disabling it on the machine you're connecting from.
|
| Yep, that did the trick.  Thank you!
|
| Guess I need a kernel compile:

Not *necessary*.

| moseley@bumby:~$ fgrep CONFIG_INET_ECN /boot/config-2.4.21-xfs-athlon
| CONFIG_INET_ECN=y
|
| Any tricks to find out where that is in the kernel config (make
| menuconfig)?

Just edit the .config file and use 'oldconfig' instead of
'menuconfig'.  I've found that you can also read the .config file and
make a mental note of what options precede or follow the option you
are interested in, then browse the menus to find those options you are
familiar with their location and the option you want will be nearby.

Just because your kernel includes TCP ECN capability doesn't mean you
have to turn it on or use it.  If you always want ECN to be off, put
    net/ipv4/tcp_ecn = 0
in /etc/sysctl.conf and ECN will be disabled automatically each time
you boot.  You can always change it on-the-fly using either 'echo'
(like you did earlier) or 'sysctl'.

-D

--
The wise in heart are called discerning,
and pleasant words promote instruction.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/