Re: Netwrok "raid"

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 14:13, Rus Foster wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone have any production expierence of a system that is good for
> network raid. I looked at intermezzo but reading some comments it doesn't
> look stable. I would like something more realtime the rsync every 30
> minutes

I use drbd on my company's main samba server. It works reasonably well,
although it is a bit complex. I have also not completely figured out how
to get it to avoid re-syncing when the "secondary" device goes down
(which, thankfully, doesn't happen very often). The way it works
prevents it from being useful for load balancing, because only one
system can have the shared device mounted at any given time, it is only
for failover, it apparently works well with heartbeat, but I haven't
tried that.

I tried at one point using FAM to monitor all the directories on one
server, and upon addition/deletion/change having it run rsync on that
directory, but FAM falls down quickly with large numbers of files.

My next thought (not yet implemented) is to hook samba up to something
like d-bus to notify another program when updates occur. That would work
only if all updates occured through samba though, I'd have to do the
same to all other potential sources of file system updates, possibly
declaring that local console and ssh manipulation of files is off
limits.

Didn't mean to write a book on the subject :-)

-Mark