Re: Using parted without a floppy disk?

Josh Rehman <java.josh@verizon.net> writes:

> I would like to dual boot my machine, and need to exec parted to do
> this. However, parted isn't on the Debian 3.0 distro CDs that I have,
> and gnu only provides floppy images - and my laptop doesn't have a
> floppy drive (nor an IR port...beware, prospective buyers of the Dell
> 5150!).
>
> A bootable CD with parted on it would do the trick. However, I'm not
> too sure how to make one with parted on it.

I've used the CD at http://www.systemrescuecd.org/ with some success
(in my case, to help recover from a test run of the new
debian-installer).  It includes parted, among other useful tools for
the case where you're booting off a CD because you can't do anything
else.

(My new laptop didn't come with a floppy drive, incidentally, and I'm
fine with that.  It does have a CD burner, though.  These days
floppies just have no useful capacity and one in two seems to want to
go from the package straight into the garbage...)

	-- Abra Mitchell